Things that aren't as important as they should be.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Trinkets, Ornaments and False Sentiments.

Sunday, December 26th 2010

     Home at last. Joy. I guess I shouldn’t complain about being able to escape from Delaware early. I don’t know if my mom would have made it much longer without beating my grandmother with the Christmas tree. It’s kinda funny watching my mom get picked apart at first but eventually even I feel bad for her. And my dad has a lot of issues fitting in with my mom’s side of the family. I am too old to talk to the rest of the kids and too young to be taken seriously by most of the adults. My family is awkward enough when we’re by ourselves, we don’t need people pointing at us making it worse.

     So this year’s “Storm of the Century!” came at the perfect time for me. I got to open all my gifts, eat a fancy roast and peach pie and have a few glasses of wine with dinner, but I didn’t have to suffer through another day of my cousins watching Harry Potter. We were able to escape The Lamest Place on Earth at 5 a.m. and beat all the snow and traffic.

     I had a pretty good haul this year. I got a bunch of random junk and a few gift cards. My aunt Hilary gave me a 30 dollar Five Below gift card. She’s my favorite. My mom got me a jacket and some jeans, my dad got me the shirts that I used his credit card to buy. They look great on my and my dad complimented my great taste. I swear, I will never learn a lesson ever again.

     Vanessa Barlow called me yesterday to wish me a merry Christmas. I said thank you and now I have to buy her a gift because she’s coming over next week to drop off mine. I also made plans to make plans with her for New Year’s Eve. Before you start judging me, I will tell you what I told Connie. “I know.”

     Connie is Jewish, so she just called because she was bored. She somehow managed to keep her Jewishness a secret from Toby and Blake, who both bought her several Christmas presents. I don’t understand how she managed to work out being New Jersey’s first teen Bachelorette, but I admire her duplicity. She has two boys fighting for her 24/7. I have stuffed animals. Don’t get me wrong, they’re awesome stuffed animals, but still, I have to wonder what am I doing wrong? Is there really that much difference between and A and a B cup?

     On the ride home I was bored (I know, shocking) and wrote another poem for the season.

Xmas Girl

Take you trinkets and your ornaments,
Your bag of toys and false sentiments,
Mistletoes, and red green clothes,

Take your trinkets and your ornaments,
Your bag of toys and your false sentiments,
When I was a little girl, I used to hope for something more.

It’s Christmas time so leave me alone,
I’ve played your games and held my nose.
I’ve learned where to sit and when to hide.
I’ve tried to smile the broadest smile.
I’ve hidden my disdain all through the house.
Nobody noticed, not even a mouse.

It’s Christmas time so leave me alone.
Take your trinkets and your ornaments,
Your bag of toys and false sentiments,
Mistletoes and red green clothes,
When I was a little girl,
I used to hope for something more.






No comments:

Post a Comment